Going into 2018, Adam and I have a goal to cut back on eating out (something we have already cut back on significantly!) and decrease our grocery costs through fewer visits and better planning. One method we are trying to accomplish our goals is through a monthly Costco run. Our Costco is about 25 minutes away from our house so it is a commitment to get there but definitely something we think will be worthwhile! Last Friday we made our first Costco run with a tentative monthly plan but also wanted to get the “lay of the land” to better understand what Costco had and what would be the best fit for us all month.
Needless to say, we were overwhelmed by our experience but very successful! Our meal plans for the month include using some of our canned tomatoes, tomato sauces, and canned salsas so we can prepare for spring and a new crop to can! So we knew we wanted veggies that went well with Mexican food and Italian-inspired, as well as healthy snacks and breakfast items. We also ended up stocking up on some home basics that made for a high bill but will last much longer than the month.
So here was our haul!
- Frozen Riced cauliflower
- Brown Basmati Rice
- Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
- Canned Black Beans
- Canned Tuna
- Broccoli – half to freeze, half for lunches the next 10 days
- Carrots – half to freeze, half for lunches the next 10 days
- Brussel Sprouts – half to freeze, half for dinners the next 10 days
- Frozen Shrimp
- B12 Vitamins
- Lotion – I literally cannot use enough this winter!
- Body Soap
- Fish Oil Pills
- Acid Reflux Meds – For the Dogs
Snacks: (in retrospect, we maybe should have decreased our snack purchases… but a few of these items are also used in meals – looking at you, guac!)
- Turkey Jerky
- Steak Jerky
- Fig Bars – for me, these have been amazing this week as pre and post workout snacks!
- Individual Cottage Cheeses – Adam lunch item
- Zero Oikos Individual Yogurt – My lunch/post-workout
- Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Unsalted Mixed Nuts
- Summer Sausage
- Cheese Sticks
- Block of Cheddar Cheese
- Apples – Adam lunch and treats for the pups
- Easy-Peel Tangerines
- Dried Mango – splurge but I am so excited about these!
- Almond Milk – for my coffee at work
- Orange Mango Juice – a splurge but we will enjoy it!
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- 11 Bottles of Wine + 1 Bottle of Korbel to stock our wine cabinet!
- Black Pepper
- Cholula Hot Sauce
After this run I went to Hyvee the next day for the remaining items: meats (I am picky about my chicken/turkey sources), Frank’s hot sauce (sadly not available at Costco), onion soup powder, and Cream of Mushroom soup (we did not need 12 cans!).
So far we seem to have everything we need for the next couple weeks! Time will tell if we still have to make multiple runs during the month but it definitely helps to go in with a monthly plan and goal. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
I want to hear from my Costco addicts:
- What do we need to get in February that we missed?
- What are the secrets to a successful Costco experience?