Our 2018 entered quietly while we huddled up at home. I unfortunately came down with a stomach bug on Friday evening and Adam has been battling a head cold for over a week now so we decided to be responsible adults and not venture into the -20 degree weather.
Being at home gave us an opportunity to talk about what we wanted out of 2018. I love New Year’s Resolutions. Not because I truly believe that we will stick to them, understanding that many of them we will break (sometimes knowingly and often) but there is something appealing about starting anew with a fresh year. Goal setting can and should happen anytime, but I like starting January 1 and adjusting from there throughout the year.
Adam and I shared our resolutions this year and documented them to hold ourselves accountable. I am going one step further and adding them here so you can all keep me on track! Some are stereotypical, some are silly, and others will require major emotional/mental changes.
Without further ado, here are my 2018 New Year’s Resolutions:
- Plan a wedding <3 – honestly my favorite one on the list!
- Spend time daily reading the Bible – something that I have been pretty good about in 2017 but looking forward to being more deliberate in the passages I seek in 2018
- Get out of credit card debt – I am not proud of this one… but credit card debt has been haunting me for many years. I cannot wait to be freed from this burden!
- Enjoy the moment – I spend so much time stressing over where I am headed next or anticipating the next step/trip/job that I lose track of the moment. This is an ongoing process but for myself and my relationships, I need to be present.
- Do not judge others – “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” John 8:7. In 2018 I strive to not judge others, knowing that I am not without my own sins and flaws. I really want to keep that forefront of my heart every day. More love, less hate.
- Blog posts 3 x weekly – I am excited about this one but it will be challenging! Expect some shorter recap posts and quick recipe ideas in coming weeks!
- Run/Row 3 x weekly – This does not count OrangeTheory Fitness running (see next goal) but instead is in preparation for our Chicago marathon in October! We have a rower at home so while it is FREEZING, I will resort to maintaining my cardio on the rower since outdoor running is 100% not going to happen #realisticgoalsetting
- OTF 2 x weekly – I was up to 4-5 x weekly for many months in 2017 but as a cost-saving measure I cut down to only 8 times a month, or 2 x weekly. Hence the new goal! Making my pennies and days count!
- Cut carbs – I love carbs but I don’t think they love me. This is not a weight related goal as much as a health goal. I notice such a difference when I eat fewer carbs in a day than when I gorge on a bowl of pasta. This year I want to find more carb replacements and hopefully my body will be happier with the change!
- Reach goal weight – Ok, this one is stereotypical. I know. But I think it is also possible. Adam and I both want to find a healthy lifestyle in 2018 (like the rest of the world) and weight is a concrete way to measure our physical success.
- Keep my nails painted – Confession, this one is already broken… I have not yet painted my nails. But the heart of this goal is to spend more time on little things that make me happy. Like having my nails look pretty.
I want to hear from you:
- What are your resolutions or goals for 2018?
- What are you looking forward to this year?
And I am as happy as this sloth to kick off 2018!