You guys, the Iowa State Fair has started! This is the second time I have lived in a state fair city but in Iowa it is different. The midwest in general takes their fairs very seriously and Iowa is always listed as one of the top few in the country! Last year I went twice, once for work and once with Adam, my parents, and Adam’s parents. This year I will make it three times, once with Adam, once for work, and a last time with my Tallahassee friend who is coming to visit!! WOO! Visit #1 happens tomorrow with Adam and I cannot wait! (Enjoy the throwback fair photos from last year!)
Expect a thorough review of my fair experience next week but until then, here are my Five Friday Finds:
- Kicking things off on a serious note with a longer but worthwhile read about how smartphones and smart devices are changing the current generation. The article reflects on the impact of smart technology on teenagers specifically, noting that while some positive trends have resulted (fewer teenage pregnancies being one that is at an all time low), more teenagers are suffering from depression now than ever before and this article attributes that to the decline in human interaction and increase in screen time. If human psychology is your thing, definitely take the time to check out Jean Twenge’s findings.
- The Best Food Cities in the World. Did your favorites make the list?? New Orleans and NYC are my top two from this list!
- The travel bug has been biting at me recently so articles like “7 Secret Budget Destinations in Europe” always spark my interest. I have a trip to Hawaii on the books and crossing my fingers for a girls trip with my sisters and mom to China next fall… so hopefully that will keep me from feeling too antsy… but just in case, I am checking out these European spots!
- As a female, I am always aware when I am walking or traveling anywhere alone. Day or night. It is both ingrained in me from an early age, culturally reminded in movies and tv shows, and based on experience that females are more targeted when they are alone. “Targeted” may include simple and relatively harmless verbal harassment, or more violent crimes. Ankeny is a very safe city and I haven’t had any bad experiences in Des Moines (also a safe city but with some crime) but I still stay hyper-alert when walking around outside at night alone or in a strange area (which… to be honest… very rarely happens). Since I cannot imagine I am alone in this feeling, I wanted to share these self-defense tools. I am especially interested in the cat keychain…
- Finally, just for fun, everyone should find out and share what their opposite job would be! Mine is an agricultural grader 🙂
Share your favorite:
- Foodie City
- Travel Destination
- Fair Activity