We are nearly halfway through July and I have been blogging now for almost exactly a month and a half! I am still working on making it a habit during the week but I so enjoy the process and feel like I am learning so much about the blogging world! I thought this might be a good opportunity to share a few more facts about me and I hope you will share some fun facts of yours so we can get to know each other 🙂
- I have a love of birds and have owned three birds in my lifetime! I had a parakeet named Sweetie and a Quaker Parrot named Shaker Quaker when I was a kid. In high school I purchased an Umbrella Cockatoo named Lucy. If you know anything about Cockatoos, I am sure your first thought was, “where is Lucy now?” because you know they live forever! Well Lucy needed more space and interaction than I could provide in college and post-grad school. She lives now back with the bird breeder I bought her from, has a boyfriend, and has started laying eggs. She is MUCH happier and I can still visit her when I go home to Tampa!
- I graduated from the College of William & Mary with a double major in History and Environmental Policy. W&M is amazing. Williamsburg is wonderful. Tribe Pride! <3
- After college, I went straight into law school at the Florida State College of Law and soon after enrolled in the joint JD/Master in Urban Planning degree program. I graduated with both in 4 years (would typically have been 5 if completed separately), have passed both the Georgia and Florida bar exams, and am currently a happily inactive lawyer in both states. While I knew early on that I did not want a traditional lawyer career, I appreciate the education I received and still use it daily!
- I have been skydiving twice! Once outside of Orlando as a surprise gift for my mom’s 50th birthday, and once more recently for my boyfriend’s 30th birthday in central Iowa.
- I was a child model in Florida and my mom is still digging up magazines and newspapers that I was featured in. My budding career ended when I started to lose teeth and my parents were concerned that the modeling environment would make me insecure during my “awkward years”. They made the right choice!
- I studied abroad in Canberra, Australia and will forever be in love with that country, lifestyle, and the memories I collected there.
- Working as a barista for a year while I was getting my masters was one of the best work experiences I have had! I still talk about how I would love to be a career barista if it supported the kind of lifestyle I want to have (read: travel & good food). And yes, I worked at Starbucks.
- I hate conflict and openly admit that it makes me a poor communicator. But acceptance is the first step in realizing you have a problem right??
- My introverted nature is one of my greatest challenges (and relates to #8) and I am constantly pushing myself outside of my comfort zone with mixed results. Sometimes awkward, uncomfortable Liesl cannot be rescued… but in general people would be surprised to know that I would prefer to be by myself or with a very small group of close friends than meeting new people or be in loud crowds! Moving to Iowa definitely forced me to push myself to make friends with strangers!
- At age ten I decided to be a vegetarian, a lifestyle I continued until I was 22! I then added sustainable fish and shellfish, and then a few years ago I also added “happy” chicken and turkey. Aside from the possibility of wild caught deer… I think this is the lifestyle I will continue (no pork or beef for me!)! Unless I know it was sourced from a local humane farm, I stick to a pescatarian diet when eating out and cook happy chicken at home. My family has been so supportive through each phase I’ve moved through and my boyfriend eats almost the same diet as me (except for when he mans the grill) and never complains! Although he does make it very clear that regular bacon > turkey bacon!!
Now that you know a little more about me, tell me about you!
- What is a little known fact about yourself?
- What do you think is an integral part of who you are?
- Do you have a fun/interesting/random fact to share?